Thursday, March 5, 2015

The beginning, sort of

Today marks the first day that I am in earnest beginning the clean out of my house. I'm loosely following the system of Marie Kondo (author of the wonderful and often hilarious The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up). But I will definitely deviate and use my own methods along the way.

Why is this a big deal for me? In my current home is pretty much all my possessions ever (I'm about to turn 50), as well as all the possessions, papers, etc. that were in my mother's house, where she lived for 40 years. She died in October of 2013 and I've been very slow about going through her things. It seems like a hugely insurmountable task. She was a collector of everything from magazine articles to mustard pots (more on this to come, I'm sure) to books to wrapping paper to…you name it. The task of going through her things has come to symbolize something for me about moving on from her death. And the task of going through my things has come to symbolize my growing up somehow, turning a page, finding myself, as I face down 50. So doing them together should be pretty interesting and powerful.

In order to push myself through this task, I'm going to blog about it, if only for myself. I've set a goal for completion of November 1, 2015. I have definitely started already…the books and vinyl albums are pretty much gone through and organized…but I feel like I need some "officialness" to get myself the rest of the way. And it will be fun to post bits and pieces from it along the way, and remember my past and my family's past.

No comments:

Post a Comment