Saturday, March 21, 2015

Last week I did such an epic Kondo that I couldn't even bring myself to talk about it until now. I filed a box that had contained my personal files that I've been dragging around with me for 25 years or so, PLUS a box of college and high school stuff that had been parked at my mother's for all that time. It was so utterly headspinning. The best parts:
1. Tossing out the beat-up moving box the files were in
2. Thinning the files to about half by throwing out stuff
3. Learning things about myself that I had forgotten.

Apparently I went to see a play at UCLA in '82 or so that starred students Tim Robbins and Daphne Zuniga. Also, I took the GREs (something I vaguely remember doing) and sent transcripts to a number of potential graduate schools, from U. Virgina to U. Texas at Austin. I spent a good while imagining what might have happened if I ended up at any of those places.

A Kondo trick I learned this go-round….if you have saved notebooks but not used all of them, tear out just the pages you've used and save them! Great for not-entirely-used journals.

Here's the desk now! In those plastic boxes are letters and cards I was sent, oh, over the last 20 years oh so. That's going to be hell. At least I can now fit my feet under my desk!

No comments:

Post a Comment